ABOUT THE PROJECT
“Brave New Words: innovative educational tools for training and teaching people with Special Learning Disorders”, it’s a project supported by the European Commission through the Erasmus+ programme, Key Action 2- Strategic partnership for adult education.
The project aims to create innovative learning pathways that increase the quality of the work of educators and staff members dealing with students with Special Learning Disorders (SpLD), using 3D Printing and Augmented Reality (AR).
SpLD is a type of Neurodevelopment Disorder that does not allow the ability to learn or use specific academic skills in one or more areas of reading, writing, math, listening comprehension, and expressive language, which are the bases for other academic learning.
For this reason, students with SpLD need special and inclusive learning pathways and tools for increasing their opportunities to reach proper learning outcomes. Furthermore, people often realise they have a learning disorder already in adulthood and this makes it more difficult to reach proper learning outcomes.
The use of 3D printing and AR technology will transform how people with SpLD will learn by offering a multi-sensory experience to them. For the development of Multi-sensory methods and methodology, the new technologies (3D Printing and AR) can be useful tools for developing new inclusive tools.
It lasts 30 months 01-11-2019/ 30/04/2022
The objectives of Brave New Words project are:
- Increase the quality of the educational and “caregiving” process of staff working with people with SpLD.
- Provide proper tools to teachers, trainers and other staff members for working with people with SpLD.
- Increase the quality of the learning process to people with SpLD.
- Increase the quality of the adult inclusive education in the countries involved.
- Increase the cooperation among European different entities working in the field of inclusiveness.
- Education, and technology development.
The activities of Brave New Words project are:
- To develop a guideline for teachers and educators on 3D Printing and Augmented Reality to use them with people with SpLD
- To develop 20 exercises (10 in 3D printing and 10 in Augmented Reality) to help people with SpLD in their learning process
- To test all the materials realised during the implementation of the project with the target group involved.
- To realise a set of webinars to disseminate the project as much as possible.
INTELLECTUAL OUTPUT 1
A GUIDELINE FOR TEACHERS AND TRAINERS ABOUT THE USE OF 3D PRINTING AND AUGMENTED REALITY.
The consortium will create a guideline for teachers and trainers about how to develop and to design some exercises suitable to be printed in 3D and some exercises suitable to be used with Augmentative Reality technology for people with SpLD.
IO1A1 – Transfer of knowledge about basics of 3D printing concepts and Augmented Reality to the teachers and trainers working with people with SpLD
IO1A4 – Identification of 3D printing most suitable technologies for special education
IO1A5 – Identification of AR most suitable technologies for special education
IO1A6 – Develop a methodology for creating new 3D printing exercises for people with SpLD
IO1A7 – Develop a methodology for creating new AR exercises for people with SpLD
INTELLECTUAL OUTPUT 2
SET OF EXERCISES FOR USING 3D PRINTING AND AR WITH PEOPLE WITH SPLD.
A set of 10 exercises will be developed by 3D printing and AR technology suitable to use with people with SpLD
*PLEASE NOTE for each exercise you will find inside: One exercise guide in English, Italian, Bulgarian, Spanish and Polish. The renders, the STL files and photos of the 3D printed exercises.
- Alphabet letters and accents
- Europa and its seas
- Let’s learn the geometrical shapes and mathematical sign
- Let’s learn the geometrical shapes and mathematical sign 2
- Let’s learn the geometrical shapes and numbers
- Matching the shapes
- Positive and negative numbers shapes
- Puzzle numbers
- Sensory numbers and arithmetic symbols
- The addition of numbers
- What do you like to eat?
*PLEASE NOTE for each exercise you will find inside: One exercise guide in English, Italian, Bulgarian, Spanish and Polish. The ACLASS files, Markers printable and the materials used for the exercises.
- English alphabet
- Geometrical shapes
- I spy
- Interactive Polish orthography-spelling
- Let’s learn the Bulgarian alphabet
- Let’s learn the English alphabet
- Let’s learn the numbers
- Show me the directions
- Tell me a fairy tale – The Turnip
- Tell me a fairy tale – The wheat bread
- The Polish words around us
IO2 A6 – Augmented Reality Toolkit
The AR toolkit is a support and training document that will help both teachers, trainers or educators and learners or students involved in this project to learn how to use the selected tools.
INTELLECTUAL OUTPUT 3
A pilot phase will be conducted by Parvi and the other associated partners to test all tools and activities done and realised during the implementation of the project.
INTELLECTUAL OUTPUT 4
SET OF WEBINARS TO MAXIMIZE THE IMPACT OF THE FINAL TRAINING VERSION.
A set of webinars, to open a dialogue and forecast the use of 3D printing and AR technologies in the educational field and to help people with SpLD.
BRAVE NEW WORDS: A NEW IDEA TO HELP PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL LEARNING DISORDERS THANKS TO 3D PRINTING AND AUGMENTED REALITY.
On the 15th and 18th of December 2019, the kick-off meeting (KOM) of BRAVE NEW WORDS project, took place in Ruse (Bulgaria) and the consortium of partners have been hosed by PARVI, an association involved in the project that take care of people with special learning...